Thu, Nov 27, 2014

VINSON: Mysteries of eagle too amazing not to share

VINSON: Mysteries of eagle too amazing not to share | Nature, Travel, Bald Eagle, History, Voices, Mike Vinson, Wildlife

(File photo)
“The way of an eagle in the air; The way of a serpent upon a rock,” reads Proverbs 30:19.

It seems this biblical reference to the eagle is the near-mythical power of flight that allows the king of birds to hang as if frozen in the air for lengthy periods, making it appear as though it is not moving to the human eye.

Therefore, it’s not a great wonder the bald eagle is the national bird of the United States and, too, is on the U.S. Seal – in essence, the symbol of American power.

Though the bald eagle, found in every state except Hawaii, varies in size according to geographical location, a good, average physical blueprint is that it is between 28 and 40 inches in length, has a wingspan of up to 7.5 feet, a weighs 9 pounds.

It also builds the largest nest of any North American bird.

The eagle’s eyesight is so keen it can identify a rabbit moving almost a mile away. An eagle flying at an altitude of 1,000 feet over open country could spot, from a fixed position, prey over an area of almost 3 square miles.

The female is considerably larger than the male.

What you just have read is data anyone can pull off the Internet, correct?

Here is some data, though, with which you might be unfamiliar, and yes, a friend sent it to me via e-mail.

However, I’m going to share it with you because it, simply, is too amazing to not share.

The eagle has the longest lifespan amongst birds. It can live up to 70 years. But to reach this age, the eagle must make a hard decision.

Once the eagle gets into its 40s, in terms of chronological years, its long and flexible talons no longer can grab prey, which serves as food.

Its long and sharp beak becomes bent, and its old age and heavy wings, due to their thick feathers, become stuck to its chest, making it difficult to fly.

Then, the eagle is left with only two options: Die or go through a painful process of change, which lasts 150 days.

The process requires that the eagle fly to a mountain top and sit on its nest. There the eagle knocks its beak against a rock until it plucks it out.

After plucking it out, the eagle will wait for a new beak to grow back, and then it will pluck out its talons.

When its new talons grow back, the eagle starts plucking its old feathers. After five months, the eagle takes its famous flight of rebirth and lives for 30 more years.

Lesson learned: Many times, in order to survive, we have to start a change process.

Sometimes, we need to get rid of old memories, habits and other past traditions.

As one writer said, “It’s no wonder God wants us to spread our wings and soar with the eagles.”

And while speaking of God, as it might correlate with the bald eagle, I’ll refer back to Proverbs.

In the Garden of Eden, Lucifer conned Eve by speaking to her through a serpent – the serpent being an exalted creature that did have wings before sin entered the world.

A serpent, now, is categorized as the lowest of the low.

In an analogous sense, I suppose we could compare the bald eagle to a deity and the serpent to Lucifer. When the Devil throws temptation our way, God, soaring far above the clouds, is ever-ready to swoop down and save us from sin’s venom.

Simply amazing.
Meat & Potatoes
Bald Eagle, History, Mike Vinson, Nature, Travel, Voices, Wildlife
June 04, 2012 at 1:48pm
For most of my adult life, I questioned the existence of God. If doubt were the hallmark of wisdom, then I definitely “appeared” to be wise for many years. My trust, sadly, lie in man. When my friend looked into my eyes and promised me he would be there for me, I “believed” him. My thought was, “I can see you, and I can touch you; therefore, certainty is within my reach.” I was confident and assured in both he, and I. There was a connection, after all, or so I thought.

Soon, I grew all too comfortable with being disappointed and mocked. Was it I? Was I so blind, vulnerable, and weak that my friend could, and would, take my trust and my “belief” in him and do as he pleased with me? Why would he feed off my weaknesses? One thing is for sure: The “chink” he found in my “armor” never let him down; it was always there for him . . . waiting to be chipped-away at, both day and night, to the point there was “no armor” left on me. My heart had no shield.

Mike, your story sure did a number on me. It brought back so many deep and succinct emotions . . . forcing me to seek the stillness required of me to talk to the One I now have faith in, God. Without going into a philosophical song and dance, my faith in the Eagle and my awareness of the serpent – the animal kingdom as a whole – is the reason I no longer question the existence of God.

When I see a serpent, reminded I am, of the friend who peered into my eyes and made me a promise, and gave me his word that he would be there for me. When I see an Eagle soaring through the sky, or a hen sitting on her chicks to keep them warm and safe from predators, again, I think about the promise that was, is, made to me, but in a different “light.” If all this sounds like I have lost it, oh well, I suppose my loss, will surely be someone else’s gain.

Thank you, Mike, for an enlightening experience.
June 04, 2012 at 8:42pm
Utter rubbish. Eagles do not do this. Or is this just part of your sermon?
June 05, 2012 at 8:22am
'Utter rubbish?' If theres any rubbish it's what you said Oldman. I remember reading in a outdoor magazine about the eagle. It was either Sports afield or Outdoor Life, and the article said almost exactly what Vinson says in this column. You might as well try knocking down a steel door by tossing water on it if your going try attack Vinson on this stuff. They call people like Oldman on the internet 'Trolls'. Weak minded people who don't shit about shit and nobody will have nothing to do with them. These trolls spend they whole days hiding behind a computer. Get back in your hole Troll!
June 05, 2012 at 9:19am
Regarding the disparaging, cheated remark made by one “oldman,” Martin Luther wrote, “I am of a different mind ten times in the course of a day. But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away. When he tempts me with silly sins I say, 'Devil, yesterday I broke wind too. Have you written it down on your list?”
June 05, 2012 at 9:56am
Before anyone goes farther, I'd like to make point. In this quite good article the author didn't come out and say everything in the article was a absolute fact. He did say, up front, the contents had been sent to him by "email." For the readers who look at things for what they are, it's obvious this article was more illustrative than a statement of facts. Oldman is out line when he says this is Utter rubbish. Because if only one bald eagle has lived to be seventy years, and has flown to the mountain and plucked its feathers and pulled out its beak to live longer, then it would be a fact, am I right. Oldman - are you a ornithologist? My bet is you're not. Have you talked to every eagle expert on the planet? Have you talked with a native American Indian? I give 9 to one odds no. And please, don't any one quote websites like "Snopes" to back up your argument!

June 05, 2012 at 10:43am
Well said "hspeaks"! I can't resist throwing in a quote by my favorite humorists and essayists, Mark Twain:

"It is a mistake that there is no bath that will cure people's manners. But drowning would help."
June 05, 2012 at 11:04am
"I certainly hope you experienced the same goose-bump type thrills reading this as I did writing it."

No, I did not. That's the point of my original post. This is a sermon. First a quote from the bible, then multiple paragraphs snipped from the web and then a couple of lines to tie it all back together.(against the legend of the eagle)

Evidently this email first start circulating back in 2007, so again we're just a touch out of step with the rest of the world, and again let' make all Tennesseans' look like hillbilly's.

Not a eagle expert, nor a sheep. More than Snopes.

Don't read this paper for the sermon. If I wanted that, I'd go to church.
June 05, 2012 at 12:30pm
First, ‘oldman,’ might I suggest you attend an actual sermon before offering your tiny, embittered, and impotent instrument(s) to demean an otherwise well written, meaningful, and evocative article written by a man that I know, for a fact, writes from his heart and his experiences in life, two areas of application that you obviously have little knowledge of.

Second, you may want to take a refresher course in English 101. Your punctuation has been found wanting, severely so, I am afraid.

Lastly, I am going to go out on a limb here – it is a prerequisite of a “true” hillbilly, after all – and leave you with a quote from The King James Bible, in the humble hope that you will glean something useful, if not “ample,” from God’s Word: “A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.” (Proverbs 18:2)
June 05, 2012 at 1:43pm
Oh, I forgot something, oldman! How dissimilar of me. I thought about using the word “rhetorical” to describe your weak and lazy voice; however, rhetorical language – though meaningless – does leave its effect on us with its impressive and pretty syntax, leaving your voice to fulfill only one, of the two, requirements to appropriate rhetorical as a good adjective to explain your able inability to speak. (An oxymoron is quite the capable vehicle for sarcasm. Would you agree?)

Nonetheless, I have decided to use the word “banal” to depict your utter of the King's English.
June 05, 2012 at 6:39pm
I really liked reading something I didn't know about the eagle and look forward to Mike's next article.
June 06, 2012 at 10:55am
I think I know where 'oldman's' comment- handle comes from. He is old and suffers from alzheimers and can't think of anything better to say. But I try to be a good citizen, so oldman here's what you need to do. First you go to your doctor and get a good enema because your full of . . it. Or maybe get a appointment with your psychatrist at Cheer Mental health. Oldman, like Hspeaks asked, are you a ornithologist?
I also want to think NTHA419133 for putting the troll back in his hole!
June 06, 2012 at 11:02am
Oldman I almost forgot. You say 'Dont read this paper for the sermon'. After reading your weak comment, I'm gonna tell my preacher to offer a special prayer for you!
June 06, 2012 at 5:17pm
A good cleansing would serve ‘oldman’ well, Gman1. It also seems like ‘oldman’ could be suffering from a case of lockjaw, prompting, of course, a shot of tetanus in the lower fringe of his backside.

I think the discourse Mr. Vinson's article has stirred could quite possibly go viral. I am reminded fondly of The Beach Boys hit, “Good Vibrations”.

I’m pickin’ up good vibrations