TDOT plans to separate the intersections of Broad St. (SR 1) and Memorial Blvd. (SR-10) /Old Fort Parkway (SR 96) by creating a single point urban interchange. This separation calls for a new bridge on Memorial Blvd. that will create an overpass over Broad Street. Enhanced lighting, landscaping and aesthetic treatment of the retaining walls will be included in the construction.
Other improvements to State Route 1 and 96 will include sidewalks and curb and gutter. No changes are being made to sidewalks or curb and gutter on Memorial Boulevard. This improvement is designed to relieve extreme congestion at this intersection. The Nashville Metropolitan Planning Organization identifies this intersection as the most congested in Murfreesboro. The Average Daily Traffic (ADT) on Old Fort Pkwy/Memorial Blvd is 27,240. The Average Daily Traffic (ADT) on Broad Street is 31,420, meaning nearly 60,000 vehicles pass through this intersection each day. By 2034, the ADT is projected to be 72,740.
• Utility relocation will continue through 2015
• Construction of ramps for the new interchange to begin in late summer of 2014
• Retaining walls will be installed beginning in summer of 2014.
• The work will continue into early 2016
• Bridge construction to begin late 2015
• Completion Time – On or before May 30th, 2016
Upcoming Project Events
• Traffic on Broad St. is scheduled to be reduced from 7 to 5 lanes from West Main St. to Ridgely Rd. in early April, 2014.
• Crews will continue utility relocation work
• College Street Road closure is scheduled for mid to late April
Please visit the project website for additional information. http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/sr1