Sat, Nov 22, 2014

UPDATE: O'Charley's defendant convicted in two robberies

UPDATE: O'Charley's defendant convicted in two robberies

Alexander is escorted into jail by Officer Chris Waters after being charged with first-degree murder.
Suspect Antonio Danzelle Alexander, who was charged today with murder of the O’Charley’s restaurant assistant manager, was charged in two previous armed robberies in 1983 and 1988.

Murfreesboro Police Detective John Singleton today charged Alexander with first-degree murder of O’Charley’s assistant manager Nader Bahmanziari, 41, and aggravated robbery.

Bahmanziari died after being shot one time during a robbery early Sunday at the Memorial Boulevard restaurant.

Alexander, 45, of 9008 Bylar Court in Smyrna was arrested at his job at International Paper Co. and taken to the police department for questioning. Afterward, he was charged and booked into Rutherford County Adult Detention Center where he is being held without bond. A hearing is set March 18 in General Sessions Court.

He was released from the Tennessee Department of Correction May 12, 2005 after serving time on two prior robbery convictions.

Sheriff’s Detective Virgil Gammon, who is now chief deputy, charged Alexander with aggravated robbery in 1983 when Alexander was 21 years old.

Alexander and two co-defendants robbed Linda Charles at gunpoint Jan. 27, 1983 at her Walnut Grove Road home near Midland. Gammon recovered a pistol, holster and bullets from Alexander.

He pleaded guilty to simple robbery. As part of his plea, Alexander was sentenced to 10 years in prison but released after serving at least 30 percent of his sentence.

Murfreesboro Police Detective Anita Flagg, who is now a captain, charged Alexander with the aggravated robbery June 24, 1988 of the former Rax restaurant on Memorial Boulevard.

Alexander used a blue steel revolver to rob an employee who identified him from a photo lineup, Flagg reported at the time. She charged him with aggravated robbery.

Because he violated parole with the Rax robbery, Alexander returned to the state penitentiary to serve time on the Charles robbery. He pleaded guilty to simple robbery of Rax in 1991. He was sentenced to five years in prison with the sentence to begin after he completed the first 10-year sentence.

At age 19, Alexander served time in the Rutherford County Workhouse after being convicted of assault and carrying a weapon.

Click MORE for previous coverage.
None
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
Wonder how soon he will get out this time? Do these people never learn?
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
So much for prison reform. Needs the chair this time. That should shock him into reform.
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
It totally disgusts me that this guy was incarcerated multiple times for armed robbery, and each time he got out he did it again. I can't imagine what the family of his latest victim must be going through.

I wonder how the attorneys who 'defended' him each time can live with themselves after this. Obviously this criminal has no conscience and in my opinion should never be allowed to enjoy life ever again.
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
You can thank our Govenor for doing away with the gas chamber here is another customer. The gas chamber would stop repeat offenders for sure, oh i forgot that would be crule and inhumane treatment. Great work MPD for getting this thug off our streets.
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
I think it's obvious this guy needs to spend the rest of his life behind bars. What a piece of crap!
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
The only way for him to get another Hardee's Thickburger is if he requests it for his last meal.
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
We need to use the chair more, or better yet hang those who do these murders.
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
It is sad that a life had to be lost. Now maybe they will put him away for good or just long enough for him to have his last meal. The police department did a fine job in getting this guy off the street and quick before he did it again.
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
Congrats to M'boro Police for getting this man caught.
Now it's time to put him away for good if he's found guilty.
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
Just wondering, is committing robbery an addictive behavior? Is it an adrenelin rush?

He is quite large; therefore, I suspect he is not a crack addict & wasn't stealing for drug money...or was he?
February 06, 2008 at 6:00pm
OK, I must admit ...I am surprised he had a job. Anybody else find that odd?
February 07, 2008 at 6:00pm
Me and you both deelew....was wondering that myself. Perhaps he is employeed via a temp agency-do they do background checks?
February 07, 2008 at 6:00pm
We should all be thankful for a first rate law enforcement group, City,County, and Sate that serves our community.
February 07, 2008 at 6:00pm
MargoRed: don't know about robbery as an addictive behavior, but the "I'll-get-whatever-I-want-and-to-heck-with-other-people" disease is alive and well.
February 08, 2008 at 6:00pm
I have no respect for this man...Nor do I think I will ever be able to forgive. For those of us that knew him, this arrest has offered a bit of closure, but it will never make things right. Nothing ever will.
February 08, 2008 at 6:00pm
and again...Thank you M'Boro PD. From the bottom of my heart.
February 08, 2008 at 6:00pm
I'd like to add an applause as well to the law inforcement for a quick result in this. Great job!
February 08, 2008 at 6:00pm

It's very sad that this happened, but great that the murderer has been caught. I sincerely hope that he will never be given the opportunity to do this ever again. I feel for his family and his parents although I wonder, with his priors, perhaps they gave up on him a long time ago.