Welcome Visitor
Today is Thursday, February 23, 2017

Residents displaced by early morning fire

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -- An early morning fire displaced three residents Saturday from their apartment in Northfield Commons, located at 2325 Willowbrook Drive.

Multiple crews from the Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department responded to the apartments at about 4:30 a.m. in reference to smoke billowing from one of the units.

"When crews arrived on scene, smoke was visible at Building G," said Ashley McDonald, public information for the Fire Department.

Shift Commander Dale Maynard said crews were able to put the fire out quickly.

“It didn’t take too much to put the fire out,” he said, “but there was major heat in the unit.”

Only one of the three residents was home when the fire started, according to Fire Department officials.

“The smoke detector activated and woke the resident,” Maynard said. “This prompted her to open her bedroom door. That is when she discovered what she described as ‘smoke as high as her head.’”

Maynard added, “In this case, the smoke detector most definitely saved a life.”

McDonald said the resident was able to make it to safety with one of her cats before responders arrived. However, fire crews had to locate and rescue another cat.

Crews checked for extensions, but found none, she said.

Although the unit received significant smoke, fire and water damage, heat played a large part in the damage, officials said.

“We were very lucky that the fire was contained to this unit,” Maynard said.

Officials on scene said the fire appears to have started in the dryer.

-- Marie Kemph, mkemph@murfreesboropost.com


Read more from:
Fire, Fire Department, MFRD, Murfreesboro, Norfield Commons, Public Safety, Willowbrook Drive
Comment   Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: