At its winter marking, the Rutherford County Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities will place a marker Sunday, Jan. 6, at the “The Corners,” in Readyville.
Built in 1829, The Corners still stands as an historic symbol of early economic development in Rutherford County, Tenn. Charles Ready Sr. built the home around the same time that he constructed the original Readyville Mill. (Photo submitted)
The marking will be followed from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. by a tour and reception from current owner Karen Ford, owner of Goodness Gracious Restaurant and Catering.
The APTA was established in 1951, with a “mission is to promote and encourage active participation in the preservation of Tennessee’s rich, historical, cultural, architectural and archeological heritage through restoration, education, advocacy and statewide cooperation.”
The Rutherford County chapter of the APTA has had a long-term successful marking program and continues to mark properties and is always accepting applications for those who want to have a house, church or commercial building considered.
The Corners was considered for its long history and the contributions its builder, Charles Ready Sr., made to Rutherford and Cannon counties and Tennessee as a whole.
In 1802, Ready purchased a large tract of land on the east fork of Stones River from Revolutionary War hero, and Rutherford County namesake, Gen. Griffith Rutherford.
At the establishment of Rutherford County in 1803, Ready was appointed one of the justices of the peace, and presided at the first Rutherford County Commission meeting.
Ready also was one of seven commissioners appointed by the Tennessee Legislature in 1811 to choose a permanent county seat, which located to Murfreesboro. He went on to serve as mayor of Murfreesboro later.
In 1812, Ready built a dam on the Stones River, near his home and erected a mill.
Readyville is located on the East Fork of the Stones River, 12 miles east of Murfreesboro on Highway 70 South, which was the original Stage Coach Road from Knoxville to Nashville, also called “The Immigrant Trail” and one of the routes for the Trail of Tears passed by the Ready home.
In a letter written in 1829 by his son-in-law, James Holmes, who married his daughter Mary, says, “Mr. Ready plans to build an elegant house, the bricks for which are now ready.”
Ready named it The Corners because it was located in the corner where two roads crossed in Readyville, which is located on the Rutherford and Cannon county line.
When Ready died in 1859, his daughter Jane and her husband, Peter Talley, bought the house.
During the Civil War, Jane Talley served dinner to Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, who served in the Confederate Army, and his Raiders on July 13, 1862. After the Battle of Stones River, Col. William B. Hazen’s Brigade retreated to Readyville and took The Corners as a headquarters. The original mill and other property of the Ready’s was burnt or destroyed during this occupation.
After 84 years, in 1886 The Corners left the Ready family.
The house has changed ownership several times, with Karen Ford serving as the new caretaker of this county historic treasure. Ford is the owner of Goodness Gracious Restaurant and Catering and will expand her operations to include her new venue, The Corners On The River, in Readyville.
Once again, this historical house will play host to guests, who will continue to enjoy the 1829 plantation home that Ready built.
The public is invited to attend to the event, and reservations are not required.
For more information, contact Denise Carlton at 615-604-0401 or email@example.com.