Published: December 20, 2012
The holidays are finally here.
People here in Murfreesboro are busy getting ready for next week’s festivities. During this time of year, many wishes are made, some for Christmas and some for the future.
Here are 10 of my Christmas wishes and for the coming year, and not all of them have to do with sports.
1. A lot of talk has been made about MTSU’s move from the Sun Belt to Conference USA, sometime before 2014.
During it’s more than 10 seasons in the SBC, the Blue Raider athletic program has won many conference titles, including the Bubas Cup, which goes to the best overall program in the league.
Here’s to more conference titles, before the Blue Raiders make the conference move in 2014.
2. No more reality shows, especially ones dealing with the non-talented Kardashian family, and teen moms.
However, I enjoy watching “The Soup” on the E! Network knock down these so-called celebrities a few levels.
3. More local fans supporting the Blue Raiders.
4. People being nicer to the retail workers, especially during this time of year.
They like your business, but it does not give you the right to treat them like poorly when you are not able to get what you want.
The workers can not control everything. Usually, they just have to follow the rules set aside by the company heads.
Also, they can not break them to get you a better deal, or they will be fired. Please understand.
5. Division I football coming up with a better playoff system that allows more than four teams, with all of the conference champions being invited like the other NCAA sports.
This past weekend, I watched the D-II and D-III championship games, and the volleyball finals.
It seemed the process of allowing more than four teams in worked out fine.
6. Regardless of party affiliation, both sides of Congress need to learn how to compromise in order to solve the nation’s problems.
7. Fans need to realize their favorite college stars are not professionals.
They are students first and athletes second. They are in school to get an education. It should be the No. 1 priority, because like the commercial says “not every one of them will go pro.”
So stop getting mad if a coach has to suspend a player for missing class, not making the grades, etc.
8. Please end the NHL lockout, now. Hockey can not recover like the other sports if another season is canceled.
9. More state championships for all of the area middle and high school teams in all sports.
Rutherford County is the most competitive in the Volunteer State.
10. Show more respect toward female athletes and broadcasters in all sports.
I’m tired of people, especially men, who believe all female athletes should only compete in very little clothing and some substance should be involved like mud, baby oil, etc.
Respect them for their skills, not just their looks.
I hope everyone has a great holiday season, and may your wishes come true.