Skinny Baked Spaghetti (TMP Photo/A. McKinney)
The other day I was talking with a friend who happens to be a mom of three beautiful daughters, and she laughingly told me that if she “cooks” that means she boils pasta.
Even though she said it jokingly, it really got me thinking about I can help busy moms by featuring easy recipes that are still healthy and tasty.
Sometimes, I don’t realize how hectic it can be for the moms out there juggling kids, careers, household chores, and trying to put dinner on the table. I also know that most moms want to try to maintain a healthy lifestyle on top of everything, and that is just a lot to keep with!
So for this week’s recipe, I am featuring this Skinny Baked Spaghetti. There may be a little more to the spaghetti squash than boiling noodles, but it’s still pretty easy once you try it. You can also actually bake the squash ahead of time and store it in the fridge so it’s ready to go when you’re ready to cook dinner.
I happen to love baked spaghetti, it is such a simple and delicious comfort food for this time of year, but it is usually packed with fat and carbs. Well not this time, the spaghetti squash keeps it low carb while the lean ground turkey keeps the dish low in fat. Serve this with a simple salad, and you have got one seriously simple and delicious dinner.
Skinny Baked Spaghetti
spaghetti squash, halved and seeds removed
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ pound Ground Turkey or Turkey Sausage
1 1/2 cups Marinara Sauce
1 cup mozzarela Cheese
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
2 tablespoons Fresh Basil, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Drizzle olive oil on flesh sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until fork can easily pierce through the skin of the squash. Allow squash to cool, and then remove the “spaghetti” from each half of the squash using a fork. This step can be done ahead of time.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
4. In a medium skillet, brown turkey until fully cooked over medium heat. Add spaghetti squash and marinara sauce to the skillet. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
5. Next stir in the mozzarella cheese and ½ of the Parmesan cheese to the mixture.
6. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in basil. Place the mixture into a 9x9 baking dish and top with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
For more recipes and to watch how-to videos, visit www.AprilMcKinney.com.