The Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA), Rutherford County Chapter will hold its annual membership meeting at 11:30 Saturday morning, July 16 with the unveiling of a marker at the 1917 building of Bradley Academy Museum & Cultural Center and include a luncheon, program and museum tour to follow.
Bradley Academy Museum & Cultural Center
RSVP by July 12, for luncheon, cost is $10 per person and is open to the public and members. Contact: Chapter President, Denise Carlton at email@example.com or 615 604 0401.
The Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities was established in 1951, with a “mission is to promote and encourage active participation in the preservation of Tennessee’s rich, historical, cultural, architectural and archeological heritage through restoration, education, advocacy and statewide cooperation”.
The State APTA organization is celebrating its 60th anniversary and Rutherford County, as the first and oldest chapter will begin our 60th anniversary year in 2012.
In observance of several anniversaries, we have selected to place a marker at the Bradley Academy in July.
Bradley Academy, a community operated museum is another example of our local government participation in preservation, the City or Murfreesboro worked with the community to restore the building.
The original academy under this name dates back almost to the start of Rutherford County and the township of Murfreesboro.
A school under this name has been at several locations, the one standing following the Civil War became the main school for African Americans and one exist today as a Murfreesboro City School.
The building being marked at 415 South Academy Street was built in 1917, is home of the Bradley Academy Museum & Cultural Center and tells the African American history in our county.
A new museum exhibit is on display for the 150th anniversary of the Civil War showcasing the role of the United States Colored Troops.
The Rutherford County chapter has had a long term successful marking program and continues to mark properties and hold receptions each season and are always accepting applications should you want to have a house, church or commercial building considered.
Follow the APTA on Facebook: Rutherford-Co-Chapter-of-APTA
Other News from the Rutherford County Chapter of the APTA
In December, the APTA marked two buildings: The East Main Street Church of Christ, built 1859, rebuilt in 1900 and remodeled in 1920.
The East Main Street Church of Christ Parsonage, built as the Fowler House in 1880. The buildings restorations show the intense attention to original details and appropriate blending to period are evident throughout both buildings. Most of the houses original to Main Street built prior to the Civil War have been rebuilt, due to the extreme wear and tear of Union occupation. These two buildings are an anchor of preservation for this commercial section of East Main Street, helping it blend with the residential historic district.
In April, the APTA marked another architectural jewel and local historically significant home at 331 East Main Street.
The Bell Henry House, built in 1896. This two story Queen Anne Victorian was the former residence of William R Bell and family for over 100 years. Mr. Bell was the founder of Bell Jewelers, one of the oldest running businesses in Rutherford County. The house was restored to its former glory by current owner Gail Henry.