Welcome Visitor
Today is Monday, December 5, 2016

Gas leak brings out firefighters

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles
Firefighters respond to a gas leak Oct. 2, 2012, near Thompson Lane in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Photo submitted)

Around 11:20 am Tuesday, the Murfreesboro Fire Department was dispatched to a natural gas leak on North Thompson Lane.

Kane Konnectors LLC from Goodlettsville, Tenn., was using a directional drill to install fiber optic lines under the entrance way between GFS Foodmart and Market Place near Bonefish Grill. The drill hit a 2-inch gas line with 8 pounds of pressure.

Upon arrival, District 9 crews immediately shut down Thompson Lane from Medical Center Parkway to Robert Rose Drive. Murfreesboro Police Department responded to the scene to assist MFRD with blocking streets and parking lots and redirecting traffic.

Personnel from District 9 used gas monitors to check surrounding businesses. The Hazmat Trailer from District 9 arrived on scene and began assisting with gas monitoring.

Businesses were asked to shut off their air conditioning units. AC units tend to pull in the gas smell. “The smell is only an odor additive used for identifying purposes because natural gas does not have a smell,” said Acting Shift Commander and Hazardous Materials Technician Joe Barrett.

Atmos Energy crews arrived quickly and began working to clamp the line. The line was clamped around 12:30 p.m., and streets reopened shortly after 1 p.m. Businesses were also allowed to turn their AC units back on.

No one was injured during this incident.

Atmos Energy will continue working to repair the damaged line.

Read more from:
Fire Department, Gas Leak, MFRD, Murfreesboro
Comment   Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: