Thu, Dec 18, 2014

Director of schools survey due by Friday

Director of schools survey due by Friday | Education, Harry Gill, Rutherford County, Murfreesboro, School Board, BOE, Campus School, Central Magnet, Oakland, Tennessee, Blackman, Riverdale, La Vergne, Smyrna, Eagleville, Rockvale

Residents discuss the upcoming selection process for a new director of Rutherford County Schools during a forum Feb. 15, 2012, at the Board of Education in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (TMP Photo/M. Kemph)

Residents have until noon Friday to provide input on what criteria should be emphasized in the screening and selection process for the next director of Rutherford County Schools.

Officials with the Tennessee School Boards Association met with residents Wednesday at the Rutherford County Board of Education to discuss issues and ideas about the position, including what type of person would be best suited for the role.

Fewer than 50 residents attended the community forum.

While several praised the school system, many of those who did participate said the new director must be more accessible and willing to cooperate with parents and teachers.

“We need someone to encourage much more participation,” said Geoffrey Herring, who serves as an adjunct professor in the economics and finance department in the Jennings A. Jones College of Business at Middle Tennessee State University.

Herring said he would like candidates to address how to “implement an open door policy that would promote active parental involvement” during the interview process.

Others said administrators and staff should be available during normal business hours, noting that many working parents are unable to call or stop by their child’s school before everyone leaves at 3 p.m.

“Often times, the only parental involvement that is really pushed is fundraising,” said Sara Mitchell, whose children attend Oakland High School and Central Magnet School. “There are other ways parents, especially for those who work outside of the home, could be included.”

Mitchell said she would like the new director to recognize how important it is to visit schools on a regular basis.

“We need someone who is willing to get out of the office, visit a classroom, meet with teachers and students,” Mitchell said, adding there should be more forums held with the community, so that the new director can maintain an open dialogue with parents and residents.

Because of educational requirements set forth by the state and federal government, schools have become too focused on meeting standards, she said.

“Education is more than just test scores,” Mitchell said.

She said the Rutherford County school system needs a director who understands that creating a culture of safety and respect is equally important.

“The problems at Campus School and La Vergne High School are symptoms of a systemic disease because administrators are not expected to treat parents, teachers and students with the respect they deserve,” Mitchell said. “There is no direction from the top.”

The new director must be able to impartially manage administrators and be willing to reassess and reevaluate, if needed, teachers and staff at local schools, said Leah Lyons, who attended the forum with her husband, Marcus, and three children.

“Some of our schools are not desirable,” Lyons said, adding although she is glad her children attend Central Magnet School, instead of the schools in La Vergne, others are not so fortunate.

“Any parent should be proud to send their child to any school in the county,” she said.

Harry Gill, who has served for nearly nine years as director of Rutherford County Schools, submitted his letter of resignation in December 2011, just before he was to be evaluated.

However, he did not give a reason for his resignation.

Officials said they would like to fill the position as soon as possible, so that a new director can take over by July 1, the day after Gill formerly steps down.

For residents who were unable to attend the forum but would like to provide input, Rutherford County Schools has posted an online survey that will be available for submission until the deadline.

Blackman, BOE, Campus School, Central Magnet, Eagleville, Education, Harry Gill, La Vergne, Murfreesboro, Oakland, Riverdale, Rockvale, Rutherford County, School Board, Smyrna, Tennessee
February 16, 2012 at 6:03pm
Finally, a Murfreesboro reporter who can write objectively about County Schools. The DNJ has been chummy with Mr. Gill for years. They aren't going to print anything that may tarnish his legacy...even if it's true.
February 16, 2012 at 11:06pm
Truer words could not have been spoken by Sara Mitchell concerning the administrator at least at Campus School. She would not have been able to do what she has done if she had strong leadership from her boss, the Director of Schools. When you ignore problems hoping they will go away, they tend to reappear at the most unlikely of times.
February 18, 2012 at 5:09pm
The only "respect" the administrator at HPCS gives is to those who never question anything. If Protector is correct there would be numerous people coming to her defense. People need to examine the "new" bylaws proposed for the Campus PTC. Once again, the administrator is desperately seeking more control over the money coming into the PTC. The new officers will be composed of 2 people, a President and Secretary. The Executive Board will be those 2 and the principal. All the principal has to do is control one other person and is able to pass whatever she desires. Additionally, why would a vote of important bylaw provisions be held at 3:15? Very easy .....to prevent those who work for a living until the normal 5:00 or so from being able to vote and voice their opinion. The disgusting actions never cease.
February 19, 2012 at 9:21am
I would like to clarify one incorrect assertion in this comment section. The lawsuit has not been dropped. Whoever is making this claim should attempt to know the facts before posting opinions based as facts.
February 19, 2012 at 4:57pm
Obviously, the "facts" you are being fed are not correct because it appears the lawsuit is still ongoing. I can;t believe you would refer to your "manager" in that way. When you can't respond to the facts just spew some outrageous tales to try to divert the focus away from the problem.
February 21, 2012 at 9:39am
No I don't think someone standing up and exposing a school system that is willing to allow more than one employee to make false statements under oath, not discipline an employee for not following policies concerning a stolen $1600 Rutherford Co. Board of Education laptop, allowing an employee to use school time to attempt to smear more than one parent's reputation and employment, using school computer resources unethically is taking a high stand at all. These issues are now at the door of the Director of Schools who failed to take any action concerning any of these activities. I hope the school board hires someone who will not allow employees to take these kind of actions against fellow employees, parents and taxpayers. And if Protector "clearly knows nothing" as they admit, why have such a strong opinion on what should be done concerning a lawsuit? Who is this person trying to "Protect" as the name implies?
February 21, 2012 at 2:30pm
All I know is that no one is perfect and there is always 2 sides to every story. I guess everyone has a line to draw in the sand in any issue. I protect the principals that are near and dear to my heart. And know honesty in all matters is always the BEST policy with everything in life.
February 22, 2012 at 9:16am
When all else fails resort to outrageous and racially charged accusations at those who are only trying to uncover the truth about some actions that have taken place in our taxpayer funded school system. This is revolting to read, but this is not the first person to resort to those tactics. The other school system employees have obviously stopped hurling the insults but some haven't. Protector has taken up where the others left off. When you have no facts to support your position and you have admitted you "clearly know nothing", how can you then use viscous language to refer to those who want to seek the facts?
February 22, 2012 at 9:41pm
Racial? What?! LOL The lenghts some will go to for a coverup. Some facts are as easy as cut and paste. Best wishes to TP getting the facts he wants so badly.
February 22, 2012 at 10:02pm
@ MTBoro...please don't respond, then I will have to respond...and so it goes...two complusive personalities...round and round. Does anyone know where there is a support group for this?
February 22, 2012 at 10:11pm
The only coverup that I am aware of appears to be formulated by the very people who are the keeper of the facts. All one has to do is read the deposition and it is very clear who is involved in the coverup, but why remains a mystery. Yes it is very amazing to what lengths some will go for a coverup.
February 24, 2012 at 4:36am
You seem to enjoy to point a finger at others via comments from your computer. There is always two sides to every story. I have not read the side of the story of a new FEMALE principal nor her story of having to go toe to toe with the over controlling deep pocketed parents at HPCS, though (myself) have been on the other end of "what I think is right is right" .....strong personalities of such shallow spoiled individuals. Two sides to every story, my friend.
February 24, 2012 at 5:56am
Families are happy with everything a HPCS...you don't seem to be happy and quite honestly, feel sorry for you. Life goes on outside of such strong opinions of right/wrong and said personalities. Sometimes when a shot is dead on....it grants more peace in ones life knowing that and to not take it. Life is about happiness, not living to kill the other....there is no happiness in that.
February 24, 2012 at 6:03am
Someone once said humility is strength under control. There is no shame in that.
February 24, 2012 at 11:52am
Everyone is so happy at HPCS that one of the few remaining "original" teachers there decided she had enough and resigned during the Christmas break. I am not poitning any fingers at anyone. All of my observations are from facts read in the deposition and other documents written by employees of RCBOE. Never forget people who are paid with taxpayer's money are obligated to follow standards set by those we elect to run the school system. When actions are being taken that are illegal, it is a right of the public to seek remedy when those who are appointed do not perform their job. If they have done nothing wrong Protector should not be afraid because the documents and testimony will speak for themselves one way or the other. Trying to encourage one from seeking the truth only leads others to the impression they have something to hide.
February 24, 2012 at 10:51pm
That teacher left due to reasons outside of anything to do with the issues surrounding this lawsuit. Why is everything that happens at HPCS centered around TP's lawsuit? How ridiculous. And the PTC changes...why does that bother you so much? You clearly are not a parent of a child there. It appears the idea of a woman principal having any decision or seemingly more control over ANYTHING...bothers you. Why is that? No one else who are even involved with the school and members of the PTC had ANY problems with it. WOW!!!! You sound like you don't like women having any type of authority.

Deposition are given everyday....they are not an omission of guilt. If anyone lied or misrepresented the truth in it...why hasn't any official action been taken outside of lame pouting? I don't think its because TP doesn't have the money to pursue it in court nor lacks the irrationally to pursue something stupid just to see him get his name in the paper. Hmmm?

I have not seen any other documents written by employees of RCS nor has anyone else to my knowledge. How have you seen them?

What do you mean illegal? Such strong words....illegal with RCS policies or illegal with the actual law. Please clarify.

Protector is not afraid. Protector finds it ridiculous that shallow, deep pocketed, arrogant parents like to throw their money around on a lawsuit, try to bury a new female principal, and use this type of forum for their propaganda.

I know for a fact that TP doesn't like for anything to speak for themselves in one way or the other unless it's his way of thinking.

Seems many have been seeking the truth on issues surrounding TP as well. Does he have something to hide, too?
February 24, 2012 at 11:07pm
I think it is important to restate your words...."The only "respect" the administrator at HPCS gives is to those who never question anything."

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during this questioning. Somehow the manner in which comes across in that questioning process is an unknown factor. My mom always said..you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Maybe those who did your said questioning needed a little honey.
February 25, 2012 at 7:59am
@ MTBoro...I guess it is safe to say...I'm done with my half hearted playful comments to you. So continue to bring on your skewed rational that holds little respect...it seems you would have learned by now the brain power in not confined to any one person like yourself.
February 26, 2012 at 12:07am
When you make the comments to the public you are not expressing "half hearted playful comments' to anyone. You obviously believe nobody within the RCBOE has done anything to any teacher or parent. The facts will eventually demonstrate the truth and all of the supporters of the principal and the Director will scatter for cover.
February 28, 2012 at 9:41am
This makes me laugh!
February 28, 2012 at 10:42pm
Muchado.......so nice to see one of CB's favorite members of the DS Club respond after such a long time. Everyone has missed all of your timely analysis of the situation. Have you helped locate that "stolen" laptop yet?
February 29, 2012 at 9:38am
still laughing!
February 29, 2012 at 11:55am
You ahould just go back to posting and reading your GG from your HPCS computer. Doubt if there will be many laughs when all is revealed about you and your minions actions.
March 08, 2012 at 10:28am
More threats. Why do you feel the need to threaten or try to destroy anyone that has differing opinions from yourself? I should not laugh at you. You truly are a very scary individual. TP you just can't let go. People wake up. If you still do business with someone that is this consumed with an elementary school that his children left 3 years ago...he is not stable. No other explanation for his behavior but mental instability. There is a word for people that enjoy hurting others and receiving pleasure from it...sadist! Go seek some counseling for your issues.
March 10, 2012 at 4:08pm
Once again you are incorrect...but that has never stopped you before. JH has not and never will post on this forum. Your attempts to expose what you deem a disservice to you and others is just preposterous. The "citizens of this county" do not care about your allegations. Only you do! You are a classic narcissist. No One did anything to your child or any other. If your child was injured or hurt mentally or physically by anyone at Campus...where is the proof of this? Show everyone...please so this can truly be over. What are you waiting for? Many people have continually ask you to provide proof of your allegations...NONE has ever been brought forward. I have full faith that the Rutherford County School Board, Dr. Bridgeman, Sidney McPhee, the Judge in this case have not...I repeat have NOT done anything to "cover up" for any misdoings. Really get a grip. My comments are not libelous...I have the right to my opinions just as you do. I don't have time to spell check this and don't care to...my point has been made. Enough with the conspiracy...no one cares. Your ego has led you to do terrible things to people. Anyone you don't agree with you attack. It is insane! No one cares what is said in private emails...but if you really feel the need to "write a book" so everyone (all 12 of you) can read it...then please do it already. Your threats have no effect on anyone anymore...it really is just plain sad. You need a therapist and I hope you can find some peace. Whatever happend to you must have been awful because honestly nothing could be worth all of this trouble. Self delusion does not make any of this true. please keep that in mind. Peace be with you...you need it more than anyone I have ever known.
March 13, 2012 at 9:38am
I am happy for you that a few people feel you are carrying the torch for them. I also get MANY people expressing their opinions to me about your antics. ALL saying they just don't understand why you are still carrying this farce on. They try to tell me things they know about you and how of all people you should not judge others. I believe their is more to come out about that in the future as well. Not by me...I hear you have been fighting some demons. I will continue to pray for you. I look forward to your "tell all". Not sure why you require all this time to put something together but hey maybe you have been busy with some late night conversations that have consumed some of your time. Once again...peace be with you. By the way, you know this isn't JH and have always known. You just want to torture her because she works for CS. You know my number...lol call me and we can discuss your grievances. I hear you like to conversate.
March 15, 2012 at 7:10pm
I have had an interesting few days. I was able to obtain some information regarding the deposition in your casel. I found it very revealing that you are so hot over the DS club; however several teachers had files on your son. ML (not in the DS club), JL (also not in the DS club), PN (not in the DS club) I found her notes very revealing. If I were you I would certainly have taken issue with that...but I am sure she doesn't fall into your neat package of conspiracy. The supposed DS club (at least according to you) did not include any of those teachers. Why aren't you targeting them? Just curious In fact ML is one of the teachers you are holding the torch for, but a bird told me you had words with her and "bullied" her regarding some issues. This just keeps getting better. Have a great day. Sorry to see you have removed your posts. I guess your attorney is doing his best to help you. You have the right to remain silent...you just don't have the ability. Peace
March 21, 2012 at 10:10pm
Muchado. I must point out a simple fact for everyone to know including your boss. You are either describing an outright untruth (lie) or you have have somebody working for the Rutherford County School system supplying you with non public sealed documents. The files you refer were never made public as part of the deposition. So my question is, would you prefer to retract this as false and a lie or have me seek the person working at Campus who provided this information? Does Mr. Gill approve of his employees releasing sealed documents in a court case? Your source might want to resign before the court discovers who this is. Peace
March 25, 2012 at 10:12pm
so are you saying its a lie? Just in case you need reminding...this is a column for comments and opinions. You don't have to retract statements from an opinion column in a paper written anonymously. You really need help. I never said the information I described came from a deposition. My comment was " I was able to obtain some information regarding the deposition" Read my comment again. You get so confused... how do you remember how to drive to work? Most of everything you allege is misconstrued. No matter how people try to straigten you out...you still come out with just enough of the truth to not be a total fabrication. Resignation...is that what you are after? A resignation...from whom? Paula Barnes, Harry Gill, Angel McCloud, Sidney McPhee, Judge Corlew, Chontel Bridgeman and lets see who else do you have a problem with...Don Odom, the entire school board, most of the teachers at CS, EM, JH, AT, ST, the elusive DS club ...wow the list gets longer. You are truly a wackadoo. Please spend more of the citizens money to track down everyone that has ever spoken ill of you. You can always get more money...March Madness is still available! By the way, you are saying this information is a lie, but going to seek the person that "provided" it to me because it is in a "sealed document". Soooooooo its true, but not available to the public soooooo you are going to sue me for telling an "outright untruth"...not because its untrue, but it should not be available to me? Sorry this is getting confusing. but hey...isn't that your specialty? muddy the waters and hope enough people are confused in order to believe the falsehoods...woooooooo...I am confused! Hilarious. The forensic linquist has failed you miserably. Maybe he will give you a refund. Then you can spend it on a therapist. Oh..another funny...so the "court" is involved in tracking down people who have spurned you also? (grin) So my answer is...if I were you I wouldn't be waiting for a retraction...it won't be coming! You have made your private business public by publishing a public blog, commenting on articles in a public newspaper, openly declaring your accusations to anyone that would listen, and sueing a small town school board...so you are reaping what you have sewn my friend.
March 26, 2012 at 1:27pm
"I was able to obtain some information regarding the deposition in your case" is the comment you made. Other than reading the deposition which is public material, what other information could you have access to concerning the files on my son.

Simple question......Have you read the files? You made a clear statement that you have. "I found her notes very revealing. If I were you I would certainly have taken issue with that"

If you have read them, you obviously have used your position working for RC school system in an improper and illegal way. And to comment on them in this forum is admitting you have read them. Why don't you just post the files verbatim? If you think this forum is only for opinions and there are no repercussions just state your name for all of Murfreesboro to know. By the way, you are weloome to come to the hearing on March 28 to see first hand the true facts.