Firefighters have determined a fire that erupted Oct. 21, 2013, at Paulo Products was caused by a machine (above) malfunctioning at the Murfreesboro, Tenn., plant. No one was injured as a result of the incident. (Photo submitted)
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — No one was injured when a fire broke out Monday afternoon inside Paulo Products Company after a machine malfunctioned inside the plant, according to fire officials.
Crews from the Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department were called to the business, located at 1307 Rutledge Way, just after 1:30 p.m. to reports of a fire near the rear of the building, according to officials.
"Upon arrival, crews discovered a moderate amount of smoke coming from a piece of machinery that was attached to the rear left side of the building," said Ashley McDonald, public information officer for the Fire Department.
"The smoke was coming from a wheelabrator, which is used to separate dust from metal shavings," she said. "The piece of equipment was smoldering and crews were able to extinguish the fire with minimal damage."
Although the plant was not severely damaged in the incident, McDonald said firefighters evacuated employees from the building due to "a moderate amount of smoke that entered the structure."
The company, which is headquartered in Missouri, provides the Southeast region with continuous heat treating and automated metal finishing for various industries, as well as a range of metallurgical and engineering services.
Assistant Fire Marshal Tracy Summar, who also responded to the scene, said officials have determined the fire was accidental.