Fri, Sep 19, 2014

City teacher charged with stealing lunch money

City teacher charged with stealing lunch money | Angela Strube, Cason Lane Academy

Angela Strube
A Cason Lane Academy teacher accused of pocketing students’ lunch money was charged with theft under $500 Monday by Murfreesboro Police.

Teacher Angela M. Strube, 30, of Sky Valley Trail in Smyrna was charged with theft of the money from her third grade students after an investigation by Detective Lt. Nathan McDaniel.

McDaniel’s arrest warrant accused Strube of removing the lunch money from envelopes.

Murfreesboro City Schools’ spokeswoman Cheryl Harris said Strube was suspended without pay. She is a tenured teacher.

Police spokesman Kyle Evans said the Murfreesboro City Schools system, not the children, was the victim because the teacher reported the children paid for the lunches.

“She admitted to taking the school lunch money – just to pocket the money,” Evans said.

Principal Chad Fletcher reported money missing from the school lunches and Smart Card fund Sept. 14.

Evans said the investigation about the Smart Card fund money remains open.

“We are glad to make an arrest in this case,” Evans said. “Anytime you have an authority figure you trust stealing from the most vulnerable is a sad situation.”

Strube is scheduled to answer the charge Nov. 30 in General Sessions Court.

Also, another school system employee was suspended without pay after being arrested during the weekend.

Charles Michael Miller, 23, of Middleborough Court was charged Friday with maintaining a dwelling to sell drugs, felony possession of Ecstasy tables and marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, Officer Matthew Roe reported.

He identified himself as a teacher at Northfield Elementary School.

But Harris said Miller worked for the Extended School Program at Northfield and John Pittard elementary schools.

“He is not a teacher,” Harris said.

Angela Strube, Cason Lane Academy
October 06, 2009 at 4:24pm
these are authority figures for our children? no wonder this world is so messed up! what do they have to look up to? these two are total scum bags!
October 06, 2009 at 4:24pm
How stupid can some people be? Guess "stupid is as stupid does". Glad these two were caught.
October 06, 2009 at 5:15pm
Wow! All I can say is this is the NEW Murfreesboro...welcome home everyone...
October 06, 2009 at 5:26pm
Let He Who Has No Sin Cast The First Stone.
There is no excuse for our behaviour. Times are very hard for folks. Both these people made mistakes that they will pay for. But its hard to pay for the judgement I pass on other people.
October 06, 2009 at 6:12pm
Is he or isn't he?
"But Harris said Miller was a teacher ...
'He is not a teacher,' Harris said."
And, are "Ecstasy tables" what massage therapists use?
October 06, 2009 at 6:31pm
Psychiatric Theropists untill 1995... not Massage.
October 06, 2009 at 7:07pm
Oh how Far we've fallen.
October 06, 2009 at 9:12pm
I'm not excusing what she did - her actions were deplorable! However, if we paid our teachers more and gave them the respect they deserve, then maybe we'll begin to see higher quality in our educational system.

Until then - it's like my husband always says "you get what you pay for...."
October 07, 2009 at 2:50pm
how low you've stooped to take from the children in your class....how could you? i wonder who taught you how to steal & think you could get away with it? hmmmmmmmmmm....
October 07, 2009 at 4:44pm
BlueRaiderMom...you're kidding, right? '...if we paid our teachers more...' How absurd! Yes, our teachers are underpaid and don't get the respect deserved of the position but that is absolutely no excuse for stealing! Especially for one in a position to be a role model for children.

Do away with tenure...what other profession has it? If you do your job you get to keep it. If you screw up you're gone! There are others out there wanting to teach who have morals and ethics. How about we give them a chance?!?
October 07, 2009 at 9:48pm
It sounds like she could be addicted to drugs. Why else would a teacher resort to stealing the kids' lunch money? This has nothing to do with "hard times" or not getting paid enough.
October 08, 2009 at 12:39am
October 08, 2009 at 7:16am
Not paid enough? are you serious... There are well respected people working at McDonald's and not stealing from people and they aren't paid anything for that job. She must be a spoiled brat that needs to be taught that she shouldn't steel!!
I work at a job that is semi-dangerous and I don't get paid anything for it! We all end up where we are based on life decisions that we make!
October 08, 2009 at 9:33am
mm123 :"I wonder if she was "borrowing" the money with the intention of putting it back. That certainly doesn't make it right, but it's a possibility." Wearing thick rose colored glasses!
Let's see, how many people who embezzle say, "I was going to pay it back".
Try growing up and holding people accountable for their actions. If you don't hold the adults accountable, how can you expect the kids to be accountable?
October 08, 2009 at 10:29am
I guess you haven't actually seen the teachers salary rate. If you add it up its rather good pay, considering you get the whole summer off. There is no excuse for stealing period.
October 08, 2009 at 11:23am
It probably happened while having the kids sing the worship odumma song. She should be drop kicked!
October 08, 2009 at 11:53am
There's no denying that stealing from children is wrong. She messed up. But we do not know the whole story. Shame on you for speculating on her personal life. "it sounds like she could be addicted to drugs" Wow. Who knows her motivation behind it? and "total scum bags"? do you know these people? I do know Mr. Miller. He is one of the kindest, most giving people I know. This is a very unfortunate situation. Also, he is not a teacher, but works with the ESP. Nor does he try to pass himself off as a teacher.
October 08, 2009 at 12:08pm

no foodstamp, YOU should be dropkicked for that stupid remark!

October 08, 2009 at 1:27pm
Remember all, this is a public forum where people can make comments based on their opinions, no matter how childish and/or idiotic they sound. Personally, I think there is no good reason for this teacher to steal from her students. She saw the opportunity and chose to take it. As far as the ESP worker, he may be a good person and kind, but the best and kindest people do things they shouldn't. He was maintaing a dwelling to sell drugs, which means he operated a drug house. Call these two what you want, but they both have made big mistakes and bad choices. We all do but some get caught and some don't.
October 09, 2009 at 12:41am
I wonder how many parents of these students will share this terrible news? This is a sad day for the teachers that are upstanding!
October 09, 2009 at 8:50am
she thinks because she is a tenured teacher she won't lose her job....if she doesn't there is going to be some pissed off parents and NOBODY is going to want their kids in her class! almost $500 from july to september is alot of money in a short amount of time...so she probably has been doing this for a long time...they are still investigating and if there is more than $500 she will be charged with a felony. the whole strube family are known felons & thieves. so she has been trained my america's dumbest criminals.
October 09, 2009 at 11:36am
We children all love Barack
mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm
But I need the money
mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm
Help Obama save the world
mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm
Freakin' liberals
October 09, 2009 at 6:10pm
saywhat, I haven't a clue who you are or who the strubes are, but either way you have no business slandering the "whole strube family." How does a teacher get tenure at only 30 years old?

smokehouse? never mind, your post speaks for itself.

OT, the ESP worker was not arrested at the school or during school hours. However, he should be fired, not suspended from working within the school system again. It is part of their job requirements to be substance free and have clean records. Yes, I know the law, innocent until proven guilty, but should it protect their job?

October 10, 2009 at 2:37am
Angela Strube was our daughters' 3rd grade teacher four years ago. Mrs. Strube was a very good teacher and role model for our daughter. We were pleased with the education, care and attention our daughter received in 3rd grade at CLA. We never had any issues with missing lunch money, fund-raiser payments, field trip funds, etc.

It's my understanding that Mrs. Strube has been going through some things in the last year or so. Knowing her, and armed with that knowledge, the first thing I thought when I learned of her arrest was just what mm123 suggested - that she must have begun "borrowing" from the envelopes with the intention of paying it back, but then it spiraled out of hand.

Before everyone jumps my case, I absolutely agree that this teachers' actions were wrong; I agree that she did the crime, has admitted to it and she should/will pay for it. However, once she has "paid her dues" to society (that's us, folks), shouldn't she be allowed a second chance? Isn't that what our justice system is built on? This was not, after all, a murder, a sex crime, a drug-related charge, and she didn't "harm" a child.

Calling her "a total scumbag," insinuating that she has a drug problem or that she should become a victim of physical violence merely shows the ignorance and maturity level of some of my fellow posters. I guess every one of them also agree that you should give up your drivers' license with your first misdemeanor traffic infraction?? How many of us would be hoofin' it across town? Hmmmm, food for thought...
October 10, 2009 at 1:34pm
stealing is a crime and a commandment.
October 11, 2009 at 12:15pm
saywhat,

Last time i checked, judgment was a sin, too. Let the justice system, and Jesus, do their jobs. Have a blessed day!
October 11, 2009 at 9:25pm
I have two children attending Cason Lane and My daughter is in third grade, I was shocked to hear this and really dont know what to think. Teachers are the key to education , she should have known better. I dont feel remorse that could have been my child she stole from and I would have been p*ssed off. Whats this world coming too!!! I hope she learns her LESSON WELL!!!!!
October 12, 2009 at 1:05pm
Let me point out the obvious here....

Lunch money is suppose to be sent in at the beginning of the week to go in to the student's accounts. Parents are asked to pay either online or a written check. If parents did what they are asked to do (which is common sense anyways) this could have been prevented.

Second, she did not steal from the children...even though it makes an interesting story headline. The students did not go with out lunches, the school went without money. So put two and two together and we have "she was stealing from the school".

I don't know this teacher, I don't know what she was thinking. Who I feel bad for is the kids who were in her class this year, and any student she has ever had. When you are a kid it is so hard to learn even those people we look up to are not perfect.

October 29, 2009 at 9:57pm
My daughter had Ms. Strube for her fourth grade teacher. It was one of the happiest school years my daughter ever had. In no way am I condoning what she did, however, I'm convinced that circumstances in her life led her to make some very bad decisions. This event makes me realize that "there but for the grace of God, go I." I pray that she gets the help she needs and that she always remembers that God's grace is more than sufficient. We still love you, Ms. Strube!