A fire Monday evening sent one to the hosptial and displaced eight residents from their Poplar Avenue home. (TMP/T. Summar)
The Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department’s Assistant Fire Marshal Tracy Summar determined early Tuesday morning that Monday’s fire at Poplar Village Apartments was the result of unattended cooking.
“The fire was accidental and the investigation has closed,” Summar said.
With the rising number of fires starting in the kitchen, MFRD would like to share the following Cooking Safety Tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
Cook with Caution
• Be on alert. If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop.
• Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while the food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire (oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains) away from your stovetop.
If you have a cooking fire:
• Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to contain the fire.
• Call 9-1-1!
• If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
• Keep a lid nearby when you are cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
• For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
For more information on ways to prevent kitchen fires, contact the Murfreesboro Fire Department at 615-893-1422.
Eight people are homeless and one was taken to the hosptial after an apartment fire damaged two units and smoke damaged four units in an apartment building Monday evening.
"At this time, the fire appears to be accidental, but will remain under investigation," Assistant Fire Marshal Tracy Summar said.
The Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department's Districts 4 and 6 and Rescue Company 7 responded to the scene of an apartment fire at 1414 Poplar Avenue at around 5:30 Monday evening.
Upon arrival units discovered heavy black smoke coming from the roof. District 4 immediately called for another engine and rescue company.
Crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire that was spreading rapidly throughout the L building.
Initial reports from Acting Shift Commander Jamie Bigelow were that two units received extensive fire damage and four units received smoke damage only.
One resident of the complex was transported to a local hospital with non-threatening injuries as a result of tonight's fire.
At this time, eight residents are displaced. The apartment complex is trying to assist with living arrangements and the American Red Cross is also en route to assist.
The Fire Marshal's Office was called to the scene to conduct a routine investigation.
More information will be released when available.